Dear parents, when your child is having a tantrum, the best thing to do is to not have a “tantrum” yourself.
A few point to remember:
1. Don’t take it personally – this is not something against you!
2. Remain calm – Don’t join her chaos.
3. Mirror your child’s feeling – I see you are sad, angry, upset, disappointed….
4. Do not talk too much – Say things only once.
5. Do not try to “talk your child out of it”, or fix “the problem” for her.
6. Model self-regulation – Breath and try to regulate your own feelings.